Hello Elementary JEA,
We know you are working hard completing report cards and preparing for conferences – not to mention – teaching. (: Thanks for all you do for our kids!
Just a few things from your Bargaining Support Team…
Please enjoy a cup of coffee and stickers on both of your conference days from JEA. The coffee will be delivered to your school before your conferences start at 7:30 AM.
We honor this time we have as teachers to communicate with parents about our students. If parents initiate conversation, or ask questions about teachers working without a contract, please respond briefly with facts from the “Did You Know” handouts. You will be receiving a new “Did You Know” this week, if you haven’t already.
Parents who are asking how they can support teachers are welcome to join us at the next school board meeting at 6:00 PM on Tuesday, November 12th at the JDHS Library.Thanks to those of you who have already offered to speak at the board meeting. Talking (or sending emails) to board members and respectfully asking for a cost-of-living raise for our teachers, and to settle a contract quickly is also very appropriate. We want our full attention to be on our students!
Things to know…
- Our JEA Negotiations Team met with the District Team over nine times last school year with no movement from the District on any monetary or non-monetary items.
- The District’s initial proposal was ZERO raise, and ZERO contribution toward health care.
- The city lawyers instructed the District to get back to the table and make an offer when it was clear the National Labor Relations Act (to bargain in goof faith) was being violated.
- The divisive offer that the district presented to our JEA team (just days before arbitration) was to take away benefits from some part-time employees, and give a one-time $1000 check to the members at the top of the pay scale. (step 17 or 18) And to add $10/month contribution to health care costs.
- We had a zero percent increase in salary last year.
- We are confident the district budget can afford a modest increase to our salary schedule.
- The District has agreed to come back to the table on November 18th.
We hope you have a great two days of conferences! Please do not hesitate to contact us with questions or suggestions.
See you at the board meeting! Don’t worry if you can only make it to part of the board meeting. Your presence is welcomed for as long as you can stay!
Your Bargaining Support Team
Molly Box – email@example.com
Semra Deaner – firstname.lastname@example.org
Mike Heiman – email@example.com
Debby Hull – firstname.lastname@example.org
Holly Ireno – email@example.com
Dirk Miller – firstname.lastname@example.org
Tonja Moser – email@example.com
Jennifer Thompson – firstname.lastname@example.org
NEA Uniserv Director Willie Anderson – email@example.com